Jefferson Memorial, Washington, DC 20024
Daniel here, one of the Admins, and team leader for the PokeWalk! We’re less than a week away from the event and I hope you’re excited as the leadership and volunteer teams! We wanted to give out some information here for the event:
1. THIS EVENT IS FREE. If anyone is asking you to pay for things, they are NOT part of our event. We’re doing this because Pokemon is awesome and being able to share it with others through PokemonGO is an amazing experience.
2. BE RESPECTFUL OF THE MEMORIALS. As great as PokemonGO has been for us that play to get out, we still need to abide by all laws. The monuments and memorials are areas for solemn reflection. Do not be loud, obnoxious, or rude nearby the memorials. Do not play INSIDE a monument or memorial as well. We don’t condone that. I’m sure you’ve heard of the behavior happening at the holocaust museum when the game first game out, and that’s exactly what we will not tolerate. Put your phone away when entering buildings.
3. THINGS TO BRING. Please bring water and sunscreen! It will be hot out there, and some stretches will not have shade or shopping stands to buy these things. Also, there currently is a 40% chance of rain, so keep that in mind. We will have our walk rain or shine, but bringing an umbrella or poncho would be great to battle against a “rain dance”. Lastly, don’t forget a portable charger and your cord if you have one! It would stink if your battery ran out, as we’re not stopping anywhere near an electrical outlet.
4. ALL PATHS ARE WALK-ABLE AND WHEELCHAIR FRIENDLY. When creating our route, we made sure that they were always along a sidewalk. Please make sure when in your group, you keep the sidewalk clear for others passing by, and that we maintain extra space for those using wheelchairs, scooters, etc. Each route is ~5.5 miles!
5. DRUG AND ALCOHOL USAGE ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED. We don’t condone anyone using any substances while playing.
All teams will START at the Jefferson Memorial at 1pm, and all teams will END at the Washington Monument around 4:30pm. We are starting at the Jefferson Memorial at the request of the National Park Service, and by the fact that the Tidal Basin area is a solid place to catch some Pokemon.
Team Mystic: https://goo.gl/maps/gKdR9vgstoT2
Team Valor: https://goo.gl/maps/ZA8bygCTQo92
Team Instinct: https://goo.gl/maps/ZXTbFx2yu6H2
The map routes are already approved and will not be changed, due to permit issues from the NPS. We purposefully avoid the WWII, Vietnam, and Korean War Memorials along with the Holocaust Museum, as our event could possibly interfere with other visitors.
More information will be coming out soon, including your Team’s Volunteer Squad! Thanks so much, hope you’re excited for Saturday!
WHAT: Pokemon GO! Washington DC
WHEN: FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2016 at 1 PM
WHERE: Jefferson Memorial, Washington, DC 20024